Excellent coverage of gender, relationship, and sexuality issues in China by Qian Jinghua at Sixth Tone.
Topics covered so far include:
- LGBT mental health and psychiatry in China and whether you need to say sexual orientation is innate and fixed to resist “gay cures”.
- A Beijing-made online community for feminist sex ed based on consent and openness.
- Challenging transphobia in employment, education and law, and whether visibility is more risk than its worth.
- Chinese feminist responses to Confucian conservativism.
- Domestic violence and what’s being done to counter it.
Well worth checking out!
Articles by Qian can be found here: http://www.sixthtone.com/users/1151
What is Sixth Tone?
There are five tones in Mandarin Chinese. When it comes to coverage of China, Sixth Tone believes there is room for other voices that go beyond buzzwords and headlines to tell the uncommon stories of common people.
Through fresh takes on trending topics, in-depth features, and illuminating contributions, Sixth Tone covers issues from the perspectives of those most intimately involved to highlight the nuances and complexities of today’s China.
We are a team of writers, editors, and researchers from within China and abroad.