“China has the world’s fastest growing economy which has triggered a dramatic transformation within Chinese society. China Up Close explores how this profound change has influenced Chinese moving image art and cinema through a deeply rich program of exhibitions, talks, live events and film.”
Included in the screenings for “China up close” are Clara Law’s Floating Life, Tony Ayres’ Home Song Stories, and Bruce Beresford’s Mao’s Last Dancer.
Talks presented at “China up close” include:
- 9 Feb – “The Art of Dissent” – featuring Claire Roberts, Aaron Seeto, and Scot Rankin.
- 16 Feb – “Raising the Bamboo Curtain” – featuring Ying Qian, Mike Walsh, and Kerry Brown
- 23 Feb – “Modern Day Wuxia” – featuring Dan Edwards
- 24 Feb – “Growing up Chinese in Australia” – featuring William Yang, Juliana Qian, Tony Ayres, and Ben Law (chaired by Tseen Khoo)
- 15 Mar – “Made in China” – featuring Siqing Chen and Dan Edwards
Full information: https://www.acmi.net.au/live-events/china-up-close